Miyerkules, Setyembre 5, 2012

Why Do We Always Want More?

Ipinaskil ni Eamarie sa 1:48:00 PM

Is this just an issue of satisfaction? or is there something more in our thought processes that make us want to acquire much more than what we already have?

I remember countless conversations I've had with friends with regard to this. My guy best friend once mentioned in college that the moment he finally acquired the iPod nano of his dreams, its value became no longer as precious as when he didn't have it yet. At that particular time, his no-longer-a-dream iPod has taken a backseat as this guy is now drooling over the thought of getting a brand new laptop.

We all have this issue; well, unless if you're the master of self-control and is perpetually contented with what you have at present. Personally, for example, despite the recognizable difference between the compensation I get from my previous and present jobs, I still can't seem to keep that extra moolah from making my savings account its natural habitat. It always evaporates like water in a perennial El Nino state. I seem to want more than what I have at hand.

Why? Because priorities expand. Back when I was earning little, I wanted just a little. I'd be satisfied with shopping maybe twice a month, max. But now, oh holy guacamole now, that wouldn't suffice. I have more, why not do it more often? I just realized recently how I've been carrying 10 lip products in my vanity kit, every single day, and not even touching most of them. Last night I was thinking, is buying a whole lot of those necessary? But then, on the other hand my mind explained to me the effects of retail therapy especially in stressful circumstances. Oh, you smart piece of muscle, you.


Evidence.

There was this thread in the net that I read once, discussing the same topic. One answer hit it bull's eye. 

It said, "As long as we live, spontaneous seeking to fill desires is never ending urge due to our selfish nature. It is because of our flawed human nature that we always thirst for something new to get motivated. Influences from our personalities, atmospheres or surroundings can make us always feel the void or even the challenges that comes up with the time to face nor compete or even just simply to enjoy. The trends and the changes that may take place in any matter or situations that may provoke you to desire even more."

Alright, so that was academe-ish. But nonetheless, it is true. Desires are inherent, and we want to fulfill them as much as we can. Many other aspects fuel these up, making us more motivated to achieve them. We feel good when we do, and eventually outranking our previous gains with more and more achievements.


Big, little, this matter can actually range from harmless to debilitating. It is okay, no problem. But once it goes in the way of controlling us, our finances, our relationships and our life in general in a mostly negative way, we have to act fast and call the shots. In this way, we'll learn to make most of what we have in life, albeit non-abundant.


Spoken on a third person perspective. I should teach myself that. :)

0 (mga) komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

 

Love, Hegemony, and Chocolate Pearlshakes Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos