Miyerkules, Setyembre 12, 2012

Roads, Rocks and Rivers: My Weekend Escapade in Don Marcelino, Davao del Sur

Ipinaskil ni Eamarie sa 9:16:00 AM
Alright, so before I commence with this entry, I just find it necessary to share to y'all that right at this very moment, my upper and lower extremities - biceps, triceps, shoulders, upper back, carpals, metacarpals, thighs, butt - are in pain, brought about by what you are going to read below. Well not that I feel this is a matter of your interest, but for the love of God, ALWAYS DO WARM-UPS WHEN YOU ARE PLANNING TO DO SOMETHING EXTREMELY PHYSICAL. Ouch, that caps lock hurt my finger. 

Anyways, it all started when my lovely friend Phel called one afternoon to invite me to her 22nd birthday. And it isn't just mainly a celebration with your usual birthday feast; it will involve a long road trip en route their province! I just looove traveling, especially when it's on the road with your friends. So the plan was to bring that Crosswind to a five-hour trip to Don Marcelino, a municipality just an hour away from Malita, just before Jose Abad Santos, in Davao del Sur. 

I've never been to Don Mar before, that's why I immediately agreed on coming over. I've heard about the beautiful waters and indigenous people in the area, things I am very much interested about. It will really be a lot more fun if you have your good friends with you while you're there.

That's me (in blue) at the backseat with Renren, Bambie and Rachelle

So there we were. 8 September 2012, a Saturday. There was a drizzle, but it didn't really matter as it wasn't much of a downpour. However, things took a turn for worse when we reached Malita, specifically the ones in the landslide areas. You wouldn't believe how massive the construction was. Humongous rocks from the mountains were on the road. A huge portion of the uncemented road was dug, probably to lessen elevation and stuff. If our driver wasn't careful, we might end up with a flat tire and a wrecked tank. The area was also dark, as there weren't any street lights around. It was almost 9:00 in the evening.

Drizzle, drizzle


Road construction on the maximum level.


Cam on night mode, yet you won't see anything at all.

We were doing well and good despite the inconvenience of bouncing up and down in our seats, but it all became a lot more frightening on that particular area in Don Mar where our vehicle is just about a couple of inches away from the edge of the cliff. One wrong move, and we're down. Added to that is the drizzle, which made the road slippery. Needless to say, our vehicle swayed twice ON THAT SIDE OF THE ROAD. Our driver maneuvered the steering wheel in a way which according to his own words "bahala na mabangga sa bato, wag lang mahulog sa bangin" (better to hit the huge rock than fall of the cliff). Right. So you can say that the moments after that incident is an extension of my life. Thank you God.

Evidence of how narrow the remaining passable side of the road is.


Rocky road, literally.

The show must go on, despite our mishaps. So from there, we continued on driving until we reached Don Marcelino, where we stayed at Captain's Lake Resort. It was a nice place, with a lake on location where you can do fishing and boating. The lake stretches out to the beach, one that's with a really nice turquoise blue. Little huts are also built in the waters, perfect for romantic nights with your loved one. Sadly I didn't have a loved one at the time so I wasn't able to avail of that. Haha! Our night ended with a bottle of tequila, karaoke session, and a coundown to Phel's 22nd. :)


Red Wine, Tequila and of course, good old H20. Haha!

My present for the birthday girl! Yum!

 Although the resort still needs a lot of facilities and maintaining to do, I'm positive that this will end up to be a must go-to place when developed.

Little huts on the lake
Another view (with the model  :))

The coming Sunday was exciting. With Mr. Sun around, we were able to really see the place. Waking up early also gave us the morning breeze you'd only experience in a non-urban place. Refreshing is an understatement.

Cutesy cactus I've found somewhere

To finally begin the birthday adventure, the group was advised to go to Brgy. Dalupan, well known in the municipality to possess the lushest waterfalls. Armed with the connections, we were able to have the best Riders to take us to the place. 

Onboard our motorbikes for the day

I had a good time chatting with my driver (who said "Ophel" was his classmate in elementary, haha), as well as the overall adventure itself. I don't know if people are just not used to seeing new people in the place, but all of them kept staring at me as my motorcycle speeded its way accross them. My driver said "Pasensya na sa mga nagsige'g tan-aw kay usahay ra na sila kakita'g gwapa." (Just don't mind the people staring, they're just not used to seeing pretty girls) Chos! I like you so much, koya! haha! It was a challenging ride as we had to go through the slippery road again, as well as cross a multitude of rivers that were along the way to Brgy. Dalupan. 

En route Brgy. Dalupan. I was riding a motorcycle driven by an authentic Riders member!

Yes, you really have to go down your ride at certain points.

Finally reached our destination... or not yet.

The ride took about thirty minutes long, and it didn't stop there, as a subsequent trek to the main waterfall area took about another thirty. For a person whose only form of workout is doing yoga at home, the trek was indeed a challenge for me. Climbing uphill, crossing big slippery rocks that are far from each other, coursing through the tall grasses, testing the water's depth, avoiding creepy crawly insects, you get the picture. We had to get assistance from our CVOs (provided by the Municipality for the pretty guests, haha) in order for us to safely and successfully do this nature-tripping adventure. 


Just getting started!

Hikers?
Careful, careful
Told you so! hahaha

Don't get me wrong, I was used to doing things like this during high school, in the falls of Batasan in Makilala and Kapatagan, Davao del Sur. But I guess that was too long ago that my sense of balance had already faded in time. But nonetheless, I HAD SO MUCH FUN. 


Yaay! Survived the boulder. :))

I never expected that an ordinary weekend could turn out like that extreme. Yes, it is convenient to just lounge around at home, watch TV, or go malling. But adventures can bring you a greater high, despite the inconvenience or what-not. New things lead you to new experiences, and what you get afterwards make you feel differently about your capabilities. You get to know another place, other people, and most of all, yourself. It is also a perfect way to discover the unearthed treasures nature has in store, which can be seen in our beautiful Mindanao. It's not at all war and strife here, guys. We possess the precious natural endowments you'd only experience nowhere else but here.

Inconvenient? Yes. Frustrating? No.

Just one of the beauties you will see along the road. 
Well, that is the road. :))

Stopping by to marvel on the view
This fun. :)
Asked if I would ever go back to Don Marcelino? Answer is, of course! I'd like to try the beach they said to house many different kinds of creatures. But that is, after the road construction has already been completed. 

Which reminds me, I'm very much hopeful about receiving something at the end of the year. I love my parents, and most definitely, road trips. :)




2 (mga) komento:

Unknown on Martes, Abril 22, 2014 nang 10:58:00 AM GMT+8 ayon kay ...

Nice Blog about Don Marcelino. I wish to go to the Captain's Lake, I've heard it has been developed already and it is really beautiful "daw" na. Thanks!

Eamarie on Linggo, Nobyembre 30, 2014 nang 6:27:00 PM GMT+8 ayon kay ...

Thank you very much! Wow, that's something to go back to. I hope you can visit the place and tell me all about it! :)

Mag-post ng isang Komento

 

Love, Hegemony, and Chocolate Pearlshakes Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos